I have been a bit absent lately - that's because I submitted my thesis last week! Hooray! Now to wait about 4 months for the examiners to read it and find out if I pass.
I've been wanting to post about the practice Cathedral windows blocks I made for a while, however I managed to loose one of them before I'd taken a photo. I had a proper look this evening though and found it, so now I can share them.
After posting my Cathedral Windows Inspiration I decided to do a small practice block to see if I liked the technique before making the decision to commit to a full quilt of them. So I had a rummage through my fabric and made a practice block:
The practice block turned out pretty well but it was a bit of a pain to sew together - it was very stiff to get the needle through the fabric. However the fabric I'd chosen was some poly-cotton left over from making a skirt so I thought that maybe it was the fabric rather than the technique, so I made another one, this time with proper quilting cotton:
This one was much easier to sew together, and i tried out a few techniques to (in my opinion) improve the finish of the block. As you can see, I also had a go at adding an extra fabric in the background.
Even after my two sample blocks i'm still in two minds about whether or not to make a full cathedral windows quilt. I love how they look, I'm just still not sure how functional they are as quilts.