As a bit of a change from the sewing, today I wanted to share with you one of my favourite recipes - a chocolate cake recipe that will have you from getting ingredients out of your pantry to eating the cake in about 20 minutes. I tend to leave off the melted chocolate icing and the almonds, but since it's in the recipe I thought I'd leave it in for you to make your own choice about.
100g Golden Syrup
100g soft dark brown sugar
100g butter or margarine
175g self raising flour
50g cocoa powder
100g plain chocolate broken into small pieces
25g flaked almonds
1. grease a 9in/23cm loaf dish
2. put the syrup, brown sugar and butter in a large bowl and microwave on high for 2 mins or until the butter has melted and the sugar dissolved, stirring occasionally
3. sift in the flour and the cocoa and mix together well.
4. beat in the eggs then stir in the milk
5. Turn the mixture into the prepared dish and microwave on high for 5 minutes or until the cake is cooked and a wooden cocktail stick of skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean
6. leave to stand for 5 minutes before turning out to cool completely
7. put the chocolate into a small bowl and microwave on high for about 1 minute until melted, stirring occasionally
8. spread the melted chocolate over the top of the cake, allowing it to trickle over the edges and sides
9. leave to set then sprinkle the flaked almonds over the top.
Try it and enjoy, and then tell me all about it!