To that end, I have now got half of the quilt top completed. I decided to go with a regular repeat of the six types of flowers for the layout, with 96 flowers on the final top, which makes the top a similar size to my couch quilt, the size of which has been given the seal of approval by a great number of different users.
I have enough flowers sewn together for another quarter of it, and will need to cut out, baste and sew together more hexies for the last quarter. While that thought could potentially dishearten me as to how much I still have to go, I'm absolutely loving it, so the thought excites me - I'm definitely in a "half done" rather than "half to go" mood with this quilt.
I have also discovered that unpicking the basting and removing the papers is very satisfying!